Money money money... As soon as you start wedding planning, its like you need an endless supply. But honestly who has that?
You need to spend your money in the right places. Where is that? you might say.. Well I have been in the industry for many years now, and I have worked out the 4 places you should definitely not scrimp on the cash.
1. Photos. I have seen many hundreds of photos brides have sent me over the years, and I swear, a good photographer is worth very dollar. Some photos have been breath taking, and some have been so bad I haven't been able to display them on my website. I don't mean you should go and hire the most expensive photographer in the city. Do your research and find the best photographer you can afford. You will be looking and sharing these photos for a very long time.
2 & 3. Hair and Makeup. Do you know what is going to be in almost every picture, yup you! Now your friends aunt might like to do makeup, and you found a real cheap hairdresser on Gumtree, I am going to strongly suggest you re think. You want to look your very best, but you still want to look like you! These professionals know what will work and what wont. They will make you look like you, just like a 110% version of you. You might think that its a lot of money to"play with hair/makeup" but their many years of experience is worth it.
4. Your dream item. OK this one is a bit harder to explain. What is it you always wanted?? Was it the dream venue on the water? was it a pair of Jimmy Choo heels? most brides have one thing they really want, if you can, go for it, splurge on this one item. It will make you happy, and when the throes of wedding planning get you down you can think/plan about the one aspect you are really wanting (you know apart from marrying the love of your life).
So you have your 4 things, as I mentioned at the top of the article you don't have a Scrooge McDuck money vault... so what to do.
Sit down and look at where you can reduce costs in other less important areas. Here are some places in your budget to review
- Table Centerpieces; Guess what! you don't have to spend $500 on a floral extravaganza for you and your guests to have a great time. Hiring a simple candelabra, ordering a small simple arrangement of flowers, or using the venues standard centerpiece can save you big $$. And I tell you no wedding guest has ever said the reception is ruined because the bride and groom didn't have elaborate decorations.
- Bridesmaids Dresses, you know what? most guests probably can't tell the difference between a $300 dress and a $3000 dress, if you spend the time getting the colour you want and the fit is good, don't go nuts on designer labels, your budget will thank you for it.
- Bomboniere; Hey do you know how many guests just leave these on the tables (lots and lots!) make them cheap and sweet (i.e you can eat them)
- Invitations, Thank you, menus etc.. Bespoke custom stationary is gorgeous, and if your budget allows for it, fantastic. But $10 an invitation can really add up if you have a 100 guests, and don't forget the rsvp cards, wishing well cards, maps, thank you cards, menus, before you know it you can have spend $20-$30 per guest just to invite them. If you need to make some cuts in your budget there are many less expensive alternatives on offer. While you can just Vistaprint it if you are really want to, there are also also many designers who offer templates you can purchase and download that you print off yourself.
- Getting too decoration obsessed. Oh wow, you want a flower wall, and a hanging instillation above the dance floor, oh and a welcome sign decorated with flowers, don't forget the gorgeous crystal tealight holders you found, the sequin table runners etc.. I could go on and on and on. Do you really need it? Will your reception be lackluster without a $10,000 hanging floral arrangement? must you stretch the budget for the most expensive linens that will be covered with crockery and cutlery? Scale back, if its not a decorating essential and your budget wont allow for it.
Good luck my lovelies, with some level headed planning you can have an amazing day without the burden of crazy stupid debt.